Sunday 7 February 2010

Jumping the gun

As I like to press buttons to see what things do, in the process of establishing my start page, I ended up setting up Google Reader and subscribing to the 23 Things blog before I even noticed that it constituted a Thing. Putting off laundry may also have had something to do with the intensity of my curiosity.

Even though I'm writing this post just before the next Thing is assigned (writing Thing with a majuscule - note the bibliographer-in-training! - makes me think of aliens and blob monsters from sci-fi films like this one), I did subscribe to a few other RSS feeds at the start of the week.

I added the posts and comments of the Graduate Trainee blog, and the 23 Things (they're behind you...run!) of some of my fellow trainees. The one for CILIP was swiftly removed, as I was instantly bombarded with stuff that no amount of kowtowing to the idea of professional development was going to make me actually read.

I swapped it for the feed of the CILIP Rare Books and Special Collections group, of which I am a member, but apart from an advert for a conservation course taught by someone who will be conserving books in my library for a month in the summer, it's been very quiet.

The only not-quite-work-related one I found was the blog of the Centre for Early Modern Studies. I was hoping to get a feed of all the Early Modern events, but for some reason that resulted in being sent a single list of all the medieval seminars for the term. Still, as all the seminars start during working hours, I suppose it doesn't matter whether I hear about them in time or not! At least I can go to the History of the Book sessions, which are considered part of my training, and are amongst the closest to my own interests.

If I ever get round to evolving this blog beyond the 23 things programme (does it seem better in minuscule?), I'll expand on my love of the Early Modern, and hopefully make the blog live up to its title. And if I've intrigued you, you can go here for a very inadequate wikipedia definition of a commonplace book.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should definitely blog about your interest in rare books because I don't come across those in my library and would love to be able to understand more about them and how your job is involved with them.

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be very interesting to see a blog post on your love of the Early Modern, if you can find the time you should definately write it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both, I'm glad you're interested, and will certainly try to follow through with this!

    ReplyDelete